Similar to insulin resistance, thyroid resistance is caused by cellular inflammation, which decreases hormone communication with the cell membrane. Thyroid hormone production isn’t the problem in this pattern, and TSH will be normal but the person will have symptoms. Labs such as homocysteine and reverse T3 will give us a look at the inflammation and hormone receptor site blunting that is seen with this pattern.
Thyroid Resistance is also created if replacement of thyroid hormones is not monitored adequately. Sometimes the phrase, thyroid hormone resistance is used to identify cases where patients with autoimmune thyroid disorders respond poorly to normal doses of replacement thyroid hormone. This is thought to occur when patients have developed antibodies to thyroid hormones. The majority of patients with thyroid resistance to TSH have compensated hypothyroidism.
Read More about the Six Patterns of Low Thyroid Function
Click on the links below:
- The only time to use Iodine or Selenium to restore normal Thyroid Function.
- Primary Hypothyroidism is a thyroid treatable condition.
- Suppressed Hypothalamus-Pituitary function from exogenous Melatonin, Somatostatin, Impaired Vasomotor control leading to Ischemia of the Blood-Brain-Barrier, Hypothalamus, Hippocampus and Pituitary.
- Hippocampus, hypothalamic and pituitary suppression of Thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH) production results in Low Thyroid Symptoms.
- Cortisol imbalances causing downstream production of thyroid suppressing corticosteroid hormones measured by the Genova Complete Hormone Panel.
- Thyroid hormone suppressing corticosteroid hormones mimic Low Thyroid Symptoms.
- Thyroid Overconversion is directly linked to Insulin Resistance and Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS).
- Insulin resistance and PCOS symptoms mimic Low Thyroid Symptoms.
- Thyroid Hormone Binding Elevation is a pattern associated with elevation of Multiple Estrogens caused by impaired clearance due to Hepatic Portal Hypertension, and/or bacterial toxins preventing clearance of hormones from the body. Another factor to consider is alteration to the Hypothalamus-Pituitary-Gonad (HPG) Axis.
- Elevation in Estrogen mimic Low Thyroid Symptoms.
- Thyroid Resistance is caused by cellular inflammation occurring throughout the body. An possibility is failure to adequately monitor Thyroid Hormone Medications.
- Cellular Inflammation and improper Thyroid Hormone Medication dosage mimics Low Thyroid Symptoms.